It has been a while – part 2

The last move

Part 2: Finding a new residence

Upon getting the notice, we went and visited a real estate agent we knew and asked if they had any places for rent. There was a place coming onto the rental market as soon as the current tenants were evicted and the landlord effected repairs to the house. Made application anyway and waited for the approval.

This was expected to happen in late November.

I contacted my current property agent and advised them of the situation. Just a couple of days later, the property manager of our current residence contacted me and advised that due to the expected time of vacating the property, the owner was going to start renovations early.

The date for vacating had been moved to 06/12/2016.

Went to the property manager of the new house and advised of the change in circumstance with our current residence. The advice received was that there were still repairs to be made but the property will be available in late November. Great, looks like we will have to clean and move within a short space of time.

Off to Bunnings we went and purchased moving boxes, tape, fragile stickers and permanent markers. Also bought sugar soap, cleaning cloths, new vacuum cleaner and spare bags, and a large bucket.

So over the ensuing weeks, packed and cleaned and rested as much as possible due to my liver infection recovery.

Every week, went to the real estate of the new house to get updates and every week was the same story. Repairs are ongoing! Report to the other property manager of these updates.  We managed to secure the property by paying two weeks rent as a deposit, and signed the lease with the commence date left open till move day.

This continued until 13/12/2016, when we were finally advised in the mid-afternoon that we could move in. We went and signed and received the paperwork and the keys and then went to the house, filled out the condition report, and then started the move. I also rang around to find a removalist, all to no avail. Will revisit in the morning. The property of manager was informed of our move and she advised that the contractors to begin renovation would be there about 4.00am Wednesday.

The first things moved were the boxes to make room to do further packing and cleaning. We moved and further packed till about 10.00pm, when tiredness overtook us and thought as it was hot that an early start would be on the cards.

The next morning started at 4.00am and loaded up the car. About 7.00am began the first move. As the moves were done the larger items were being left so after a run to the tip, went and rented a trailer. Obtained a large caged trailer and started the move of the large items – cupboards, and furniture.

My brother-in-law arrived to give a hand and just grabbed items to put in his car and took them to the new house. Our organisation for the move was falling apart.

All the while, my wife placed a call on Gumtree for a removalist and as a result one was fount move the fridge, washing machine, 2 x dryers, and lounge suite. We would be contacted when he would arrive to start that removal.

As each room was emptied, and the items from that room placed in the equivalent room in the new house, the final clean was done. And soon it went, until the place had been cleaned out, cleaned up and we could clear out at 1.00am.

Unfortunately, the two sheds in the back yard and the caravan would be moved at a later date.

Went to the new home and crashed.

Next day, went back to the old house and found the owners there. I spoke them about the situation and that would endeavour to remove the sheds and caravan as soon as possible. Given the OK, I went to the backyard and proceeded to empty the sheds. Luckily the new house had a large shed to accommodate the gear from these sheds.

After emptying the sheds, I managed to move the small shed intact. This shed will go to the new house. So I walked it down the side of the old house, down the hill and onto the trailer. Then the shed was walked down the side of the new house and placed in the backyard to find a home for it at a later date.

Then over the next few days, the large shed was demolished and taken to the tip.

On the 27th December, 2016, the caravan was finally moved to the new abode. That saga was over. The new year came with a major de-stress. I was due back at work the first Monday of 2017!

 < Part 1 <<<<<<<>>>>>>>> Part 3>

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s